Ethical Search Engine Optimisation - getting excellent position
SEO Latest News and Articles
LINK BUILDING - SEO PRIMER
Google likes INBOUND LINKS - ie Inbound links are important and the more people (websites) you can get to put a link to your site on their website, the better Google will like YOUR site. Google considers a link TO YOUR site as a recommendation (a vote or point) and the more points you have, the better the chance of being high up in the SERPS . Why high up? Well people click more on the top listing (the number one spot) by a factor of around 4:1 in other words 4 times as many folk click on the top spot compared to the number two spot.
- number 1 spot - gets 42% of clicks
- number 2 spot - gets 12% of clicks
- number 3 spot - gets 8% of clicks
- number 4 spot - gets 6% of clicks
- number 5 spot gets - 5% of clicks
It is important to get the QUALITY or SEMANTIC links. Google considers links from a similar themed website (same topic) or a TRUSTED website to be better or more important than a vote from just any old website. Try to get links from pages in the same industry or trade associations / agencies etc. as your own website.
In fairness, links from unrelated websites MAY help your Google position, however links from LINK FARMS will have the opposite effect. Therefore choosing a company that does not use ethical methods of SEO may have a detrimental effect on your listings in Google simply because they use link farms.
Marketing and Link Building is a continual process. Google likes to see a steady increase in links - so KEEP getting links regularly. If you do not, rival websites who do, will overtake you in the SERPS.
Editorial Links are links within a website's content. Google likes this.
Link Farms are websites comprising dummy text and lots of links. The links are paid for by you. Sadly you will have wasted your money as Google will get wise to the Link Farm sooner or later and penalize you accordingly. In fact Google's Anti-Spam Team ask Webmasters to report Link Farms and 'spammy' content sites, set up for the particular purpose of fooling Google.
Its generally accepted now that Google ranks single pages in the search results. Its best then to optimise EACH page for ONE concept or product. Trying to cram multiple keywords into one page simply dilutes its potency. Google call this focus on one theme or concept RELEVANCY. From their point of view the search result has to be relevant to the searcher's query.
Its also heartening to know that Google will scan the whole website even though only one or two pages may be listed for any given particular search term. The more pages in your website that are relevant to the search term; the higher up your one or two pages will be in the SERPS
To summarise ...
1) To get high in the SERPS your website need good recommendations from other websites called incoming links, preferably NOT reciprocal links (you haven't just swapped links with someone)
2) You should feature one concept or key phrase on any given web page and different (but linked semantically) Key phrases on other pages. You do this for the whole website if budget allows.
HERE IS WHAT BING THEMSELVES RECOMMEND FOR GOOD RANK
- You should develop your website as a brand and brand it consistently. People like to link to high quality websites.
- You should find relevant bloggers, industry websites and product reviewers and make them aware of your website.
- You can publish concise and informative press releases online.
- You can publish expert articles in article directories.
- You can participate in relevant conversations on blogs and forums and add a link to your website when applicable.
- You can use social networks to connect to industry influencers. Your profiles should contain links to your website.
- You can use email newsletters to notify people about new content on your website.
- You can launch a blog or a forum on your website.
- You can participate in relevant industry associations and their online forums.
- You should strive to become a trusted expert voice for your industry while promoting your website.
Make no mistake ... Google is your connection to the buying public and without them on-side no one will see your website.
Being de-listed, demoted or banned by Google is tantamount to business suicide.
NEVER USE UNETHICAL SEO
Back to Ethical Search Engine Optimisation Guide by Calco UK Ltd - an ethical SEO company.